Friday, February 3, 2006

Auditions

So I figured you'd want to know about the audition, since I haven't got to talk to you AT ALL since Friday, Penpen. (What's up with that anyways, hmm?)
Well, it went fine. I feel okay with how I did, but not, like, uber pleased, if you know what I mean. I guess I'll tell it all from the beginning, since it makes my posts longer, k? If you have a problem with story format, go elsewhere. Haha.
So yesterday I woke up bright and early, (meaning, at seven. Ugh, there's only one Saturday in the week, and yet I manage to practically always wake up superduperwuper early! Ah!) The audition was at 2 (pm. well, obviously), and I spent most of the day being really extraordinarily nervous. I mean, I don't think I've been that nervous since waaay before Twilight started. It was barf-worthy nervousness. I hate auditioning, can I just say? Anyways, Jeremy didn't help because he pooped out on me in the end and decided to go for the whole break thing, that I don't understand. Sigh. However, he was a dear and offered to drive me (I need my licence already, dangit!), so I still love him. :P
For this audition I had to do a two minute monologue, which I did know about in advance, thankfully, but I had to speed learn one because I only had about two days to get ready for it. Lila knew about the audition since forever, she just managed to never tell me. Thanks a lot. ;) But Jeremy and Mike both helped me with it, and I felt pretty comfortable with it by yesterday. It's a monologue from the play Easter, put together from a bunch of dialogues the main character, Eleanora, says. She's a really cool girl, because she's been mentally sick, but she's better when the play starts and is just sort of really deep. It's also a great play, because you kind of expect it to be one of those terribly deep and depressing ones (The Glass Menagerie, anyone?), until the end when it turns happy. =)
Yeah you probably didn't want to know all that, lol... but anyways Jeremy picked me up from my house at one, where I was pacing in front of a mirror practicing, just like I had been all morning. He walked in on me doing that, and being my boy, let me finish without interruption. Then he took me by the shoulders and looked me strait in the eyes.
"Okay Jenna, it's great, and there's nothing more you can do now. So, you're going to just relax for an hour, okay? You're not even going to think about where we're going, you understand? If I hear one mumbled word of that monologue in the car, I'm going to pull over and you'll be walking."
I snorted, kissed his nose, (oh gosh, that sounds soo cheesy), and we both headed out to the car. The ride was uneventful, as we listened to music and talked about various random things, trying to keep my mind off the audition. It didn't work perfectly, but hey, it was definitely better then nothing! Soon enough we were there, I went in, and a nice lady showed me where to go. It reminded me really strongly of my first audition with Lila, the building even looked similar! It's hard to believe that was only a couple of months ago, you know... anyways, I was shown into a fairly large auditorium, where I guess they have their shows. It certainly isn't Hartford Stage, but then, not many theaters here are. There was a woman who looked to be in her late 30s, with spiky brown hair and glasses, and an extremely thin, older man, sitting in the front rows, and the woman who showed me in told me they were the directing team and heads of the theater. I didn't know what to do after she left, for the team seemed to be engrossed in talking to someone else standing with them - maybe another actor, I thought. So I was standing in the doorway kind of waffling; should I go introduce myself or sit down? when a guy who seemed to be a couple years older then me (maybe eighteen?) came up behind me.
"Yo," he said, "behind you."
"Oh sorry!" I stepped out of the way quickly, feeling awkward, but he didn't walk by.
"You here for the audition?" The fact that he was talking to me surprised me, and I looked at him for the first time. He was cute. Really cute. And I immediately felt bad for thinking that, since my heart was supposed to belong to the only cute one. But as soon as I actually thought of the only cute one, this guy stopped looking cute. Everyone pales in comparison to my cute one, I know.
Haha.
Anyways, I kind of blinked for a moment, and then said "Is there anyone here who isn't??"
Don't ask me where the sassy-ness came from.
The guy smiled, which was a whole other layer of cute, and said "I'm Triston."
"Jenna," I said, unable to keep from smiling back. "You auditioning too, then?"
"Yeah," he shrugged, "but I've done stuff here before, so it's no big deal."
"Any audition is a big deal for me," I said glumly.
Tristion laughed, then stared at me really hard for a moment, looking perplexed. "I could swear I've seen you somewhere before!"
"Oh," I laughed uncomfortably, "well I don't know if you've heard of it, I was in that musical at Hartford Stage... Twilight...?"
"Right!" Triston beamed, "you were that Bella girl, right?"
"Yeah..." I said, a little embarrassed, but flattered all the same.
"Well what are you worrying about? You're going to do fine here!"
I laughed, feeling better. "Thanks."

He brought me down to the front of the auditorium, where he kindly introduced me to the directors, and I got my paperwork and went over to the stage to fill it out. Triston kind of tagged along, which I didn't mind at all.
"So what was that about?" I asked, once we were a good distance away from anyone else, "Benjamin?"
"Oh," he snorted, now looking a little embarrassed himself. "I don't know if you've heard of the play Easter... I was in it here last year - played Benjamin."
I gaped at him. "Are you serious?!"
He looked confused, poor guy, "um, yeah..."
"My monologue is from Easter!"
It was his turn to gap. "No WAY!"
"Yeah!" I said, laughing. "I totally love it too. What was it like being in it?" We walked back over to the directors and I gave them my paperwork. They thanked us and Triston and I sat down together, still talking about Easter and all the merits of the play, until the auditions started.
A lot of what went on after that was a bit of a blur, since I tend to zone out at auditions, being so nervous. However, I did notice that there weren't any young girls there, which worried me, because who would play Helen??!! There was a young woman, maybe in her early twenties, who impressed me, so I pinned Annie on her. Then it was my turn, and I said my monologue just as I was supposed to... I guess it went fine, but finding out that the directors would be familiar with it made me even more nervous, and my hands were shaking badly. I'm afraid I was kind of quiet too. Oh well. Triston was great, but I wasn't surprised. There are just certain people that you can tell would do great on a stage, and he was one of them.

After the audition though, things got a little awkward... you see, Triston kind of asked me out. It wasn't a huge deal, but I was getting ready to go, knowing Jeremy would be waiting, and he came over and was just like "Are you doing anything tonight? Because I thought maybe we could hit a movie or something... seeing as we should get to know each other since we're gonna be in the show together..."
"Oh, um I'm sorry..." I said, desperately figuring out how to deal with this. I'd never had to turn anyone down before! "My boyfriend's waiting for me outside." While I spoke, I kind of casually swung my necklace out from under my shirt. He saw it, and I saw him understand.
"Oh so you and the Edward guy are..."
"Yeah," I nodded, feeling horrible. "But you know, we could hang out sometime! Just... not today."
Triston looked away, then shook his head. "Yeah, that would be great," he said, with little hope in his voice. "See you later."
And he walked away.
I felt miserable watching him go, but what could I do? Jeremy's my love, and I'll never put that in danger.

So basically now I'm waiting to find out if I got in... I'm feeling a little depressed about it, because my chances are pretty low. I'm not the right age range for this play - Annie's too old, and Helen's too young. There were no younger girls there though, so maybe... I don't know, I'm not allowing myself to hope. I guess I'll just have to wait and

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
The phone just rang, I answered.
I GOT HELEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too excited to write more now. I've got to call Jer!!!!

Love you all,
J.

No comments: