Monday, February 13, 2006

Of Mermaids and Hot Guys

So tonight was our first rehearsal! I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to be in a show again, can I just say? Yeah. SO. HAPPY.
I was actually kind of nervous tonight though, which was weird cause I wasn't expecting it. I mean, it's just a rehearsal, no need to be nervous, right? Right?
Ha, ha.
Can I just say, getting up in front of people you don't know all that great, even if they're actors in the same show as you, is scary. And nerve wracking. All these stupid thoughts are going through your head... what if I do something stupid? What if I can't get something the director wants me to? What if?
I kind of experienced that in Twilight, but only two days before the show and I thought it was just because it was... well, two days before the show. Yeah, not. According to Jer, you're not normal if you don't get the shakes at least at first rehearsal, and generally you'll have them till the third or fourth.
Um, that wasn't something I wanted to know, thanks.
Anyways, most of the people there I recognized from the auditions - a few I didn't, but I guess they signed in for it later. The two directors were there, of course, sitting on the edge of the stage when we came in. I was a little worried on the way there that we were going to be late, which, as you should know, is NOT a good thing when it's your first rehearsal, but we made it in plenty of time. Jeremy laughed at me and called me a worry wart, too. Joy. He didn't just take me because he's sweet, (which, btw, he is), but also because he was going to go in and meet with the woman director, (for some reason I can't seem to remember their names... it's not cool! I'm fine at memorizing lines but I can't remember peoples names?! What is this??!) to discuss the scenery and whatnot. He's going to be the all round handyman for the show, seeing as he's Lila's son and Lila's good friends with directors because she just happens to be good friends with everyone in the entire theater industry!
Woo, long sentences tonight, not sure if that's a good thing...
Haha.
ANYWAYS, so yes, Jeremy drove me/us again. No matter how much mom and dad might complain about the amount of time we spend together, there's no denying they're benefiting from dear Jer's driving skills. (Speaking of which, oh dear I need to think about my permit soon. Eeeek!)
Well, when Jeremy and I came in, Tristan was waiting by the door again, for me apparently. I came through the doorway first, and he went "Bella!" and gave me a hug. Normally, this would have been really nice, but with Jeremy right behind me.... yeah, a little awkward.
"Benji!" I said, a little less enthusiastically. He laughed, but tensely because he'd noticed Jer standing in the doorway, smiling lightly. "Um, this is Jeremy," I said, taking his hand.
Tristan smiled with no less friendliness then he had with me, and said, "Nice to meet you, bro." I felt a faint hope that they would actually become friends. How cool would that be?!
"Did you get James??" I asked him, as I'd never gotten to see a cast list so didn't know who anyone else had gotten.
"I did indeed," he looked pleased.
"Congratulations," said Jeremy. "He's one of my favorite characters ever."
"I hope I do him justice then," Tristan said, with a funny smile.
"Pshh, like you wouldn't," I said lightly, trying to break the weird mood that was coming over us. He grinned down at me, and I caught Jer giving me a side glance. I squeezed his hand. I hope he doesn't think anything weird is going on... I'll just have to make sure he doesn't...
Soon after that Jer went to talk to the woman director, (OH YEAH! Her name's Cissy, don't let me forget again!) and rehearsal started.
The other director... (you know what, I think I'm just gonna call them Boy Director, and Girl Director, to make is easier on myself, k? So that's BD and GD. :D) BD started by giving us all scripts, making us sit in a circle and do the classic name/part you play bit. Then he did something a little different. He had us play a game! At a rehearsal! I'm not even kidding! We went up onto the stage in pairs, and he would say we had to act like a certain something... like superheroes, or whatever. So then we'd try to act like them, ad-libbing and doing crazy stuff. It was insane, and he called it, "a little warm up." HAH!
Tristan and I got paired together, and you'll never guess what BD told us to be... damsels in distress. Both of us. Yeah. Yeeesh.
It was absolutely hilarious though. Tristan jumped right into it, starting to pace and fluttering his hands like a girl. "When will someone save us?" he said in this wimpy high voice, "I feel faint, oooh what are we going to do?" I had to try really hard not to crack up, but I pulled myself together and ran over just as Tristan swooned. Yes, he swooned. Everyone was laughing uproariously while I slapped his cheeks making little cries of dismay, and when he "awoke," we clung together and wailed.
It was probably one of the single funniest moments in my life.
Sadly, after that craziness we had to get right to work. Of course knowing me I enjoyed it almost as much as the game, despite having the shakes. It was really strange since Helen's deaf, blind, and mute, I obviously don't have and lines except grunting noises, and it's all feeling. She's so wild for most of the play, it's almost scary to do it. I've got a lot of work to do. I think I'm going to practice being deaf/dumb/mute by just walking around the house with my eyes closed and pretending... it should help at least. But it's definitely going to be a challenge. The cast seems great though, as do the directors, and the woman playing Annie is absolutely brilliant. Her name's Lizzy, and I think she's in her early twenties... she seems really awesome, anyways.
After the rehearsal was over, Tristan and I traded cell numbers, to stay in touch and arrange getting a group together or something, and then it was time to go. On the drive home, I was pretty tired and not all that talkative, so Jer put on a CD to listen to... and I sat up pretty fast.
"Is this The Little Mermaid??!"
He turned a pretty shade of pink. I couldn't actually see it, since it was dark, but I can grantee you he did. "What if it is?" he said defensively.
I laughed. "It's okay, I've heard people say it's a good show, just... you? The Little Mermaid? Ahahaha." I have to admit, I enjoyed rubbing it in a little. :P
"I like it, okay?!" Jeremy protested. "Just listen to some of it and you will too! I've always been a sucker for fairy tales, you should know that. I mean, what normal guy likes Twilight?!"
"True," I said thoughtfully, "okay shut up so I can listen."
"You're the one talking."
"Oh really? Who's talking now?"
"You."
"You're impossible."
"So are you. That's why I love you."
My heart stopped for a moment, and then I reached over and took his hand, squeezing it. I leaned against him, and settled in to listen to the corny Disney music.
Except, it wasn't all that corny.
In fact, I kind of liked it.
Shocking, I know.
So, when I got home, I looked it up. Because I suddenly have this idea. Well, more then an idea. I know what my big present to Jer is going to be now.
We're going to NYC.
To see The Little Mermaid on Broadway.
I'm going to buy the bus and show tickets, get everything set, and we're so going. I can't wait. In fact, I'm super excited. EXTREMELY excited. AH.
I hope he likes it!!
I guess I'd better ask Mom and Dad for permission first though, huh. No way I'm giving this up, no matter if they're not happy about it. I've never been to NYC dangit. And taking my boyfriend to the corny show he loves is going to be an experience of a lifetime.
... It should be anyways. Haha.
Okay, I needa go to bed. I'll ask mom and dad about it tomorrow. Eeek.

Love you all,
J.

No comments: